Average cost of the method: $125/month
Available in: 2 languages: Spanish and French (at the time of writing: August 13, 2016)
Type of method: Live 1-on-1 lessons with handpicked, professional native speaking teachers via video chat.
Don’t have enough time to learn a language? Meet Rype.
All of us learn a language for different reasons: to get ahead for your professional career, planning to travel to a foreign country, or just love learning languages.
The problem is, even if we want to, there never seems to be enough time in the day to learn. When we do find the time, finding a qualified language teacher takes up most of our limited time.
This week, we’re excited to share Rype: a premium network of pre-vetted, professional native speaking teachers, where you can get unlimited 1-on-1 lessons online.
With Rype, you’re able to learn at anytime of the day, any day of the week, anywhere you are with only the best teachers. This means: no more commuting, no more paying per lesson, no more mediocre teachers.
How Rype is different
You may be wondering, how is Rype different than the other language websites out there?
For one, every language website requires you to pay per lesson. This means that you have to pull out your credit card every time you want to book a lesson.
Think of the difference between a drop-in gym (other language websites) versus an all-access membership pass (Rype). With an all-access membership, you pay one fee, and you’re able to enjoy an all-you-can learn experience with any of the teachers on the platform.
Language learning is a marathon, and by eliminating the bigger barriers of scheduling your lessons, you’re much more likely to succeed as a learner in the long run.
The second, and perhaps even more important is value. When you’re competing in an uncurated, open marketplace, the best teachers rise up to the top. This means that you’re required to pay a high premium for the best, and it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to find any availabilities since you’re competing with everyone on the platform for the top teachers.
With Rype, all the teachers are handpicked for quality. Since you don’t pay per lesson, you don’t have to worry about overpaying a premium price per lesson, and you’re able to switch coaches at anytime you want.
How It Works
The way Rype works is that anyone can try it for free, risk-free for 14 days.
During those 14 days, you’ll have the opportunity to try 3 free lessons with 3 different coaches, allowing you to decide which coach is right for you.
Because all of the lessons are live, 1-on-1, and personalized, your coaches are able to customize a lesson plan that is specific to your needs, goals, and proficiency level. Think of it like having a personal trainer for languages.
Each of the coaches have their own resources and curriculum, which encourages you to experiment with multiple different coaches because you can reap the strengths of each coach.
The other advantage of using Rype to learn a language is that you can access professional teachers that live all around the world. Instead of being limited to one teacher, you can find teachers specific to the location you want, such as Argentina, Spain, France, or Colombia.
While Rype currently offers Spanish and French, they plan to launch into other popular language including English, Mandarin, German, and more.
1. Rype’s greatest strength is that each of their teachers have been handpicked and pre-qualified through a rigorous vetting method. You know the quality that you’re getting by learning with their teachers and you can save a lot of time versus trying to source your own.
2. Each of Rype’s lessons are live, 1-on-1, and personalized to your needs. As studies show, humans are able to learn quickly through immediate feedback and live interaction versus a non-interactive method like books or lectures.
3. One of Rype’s biggest differentiation in value is their all-you-can-learn model. This removes the requirement to pay for each lesson, and learn wherever you want, on your own time. If you think about it, you’re more likely to get in shape with an all-you-can-access gym membership versus a drop-in gym.
1. Since Rype’s value proposition is offering a daily or unlimited all-you-can-learn model through live 1-on-1 learning, it’s not the cheapest program in the world. You do have to look at it as an investment in your education and mind.
2. Rype currently offers a limited number of languages at the time of this writing (August 13, 2016) They’re limited to Spanish and French, but from a conversation with their team, they do plan to launch more languages in the near future.
3. Online education is new for some people. If you’re not used to taking lessons online or using video chat, this may be a new experience that might take some time to get comfortable with.