1. You often forget the number of languages you’ve learned
That is, you literally have to pause and think when people ask you how many languages you’ve studied.
2. People mistake you for a spy
Not because you wear a CIA badge, but because of the suspiciously high number of languages you can speak. Wait, did you really learn how to speak Somali?
3. You can tell the exact country and region somebody is from
…just that by listening to the accent with which people speak English as a second language.
“Wait, are you from Volgograd, Russia by any chance? I could totally tell by the way you pronounce your diphthongs.”
4. You have a phobia of monoglots
Meaning, you simply can’t fathom how somebody could live speaking just one language.
5. You always get discounts at ethnic restaurants
Not because you’re a Groupon addict, but because you keep impressing the servers with your kickass language skills.
6. You randomly call to Walmart service centers around the world
Just so you can practice your languages, of course.
7. People think you’re crazy because you talk to yourself in the supermarket
While you’re in fact speaking on the phone over Skype to your Chinese language exchange partner.
8. People shake their heads wondering why you would learn their language
“Wait, why would you learn Swedish? Everybody knows that every Swede speaks perfect English.”
–“I don’t know, it just sounded fun.”
So, by any of these criteria, would you consider yourself a language learning addict? Or have I missed anything in this list? Let me know in the comments section below 🙂